Broccoli may not be at the top of your favorite-foods list, but it should be. From boosting immunity to strengthening your skeleton and joints to cutting cancer risk, here are 10 ways this cruciferous veggie sends your health soaring.
- Broccoli helps prevent cancer. Chief among broccoli’s benefits is the superfood’s role in fighting disease. “Broccoli can actually detoxify the body and is known to have cancer prevention properties.”
- Broccoli enhances bone health. Broccoli contains calcium and vitamin K, both of which are important for bone health and preventing osteoporosis.
- Broccoli helps maintain a healthy nervous system and balances sodium’s effect on blood pressure. Broccoli is rich in potassium, which helps stabilize blood pressure and aids in maintaining a healthy nervous system and brain function.
- Broccoli may help prevent cardiovascular disease. Some studies have shown that broccoli’s vitamin B6 and folate may offer some protection against heart disease and stroke.
- Broccoli improves digestion. Its’ high fiber content aides with digestion and prevents constipation by sweeping out the digestive tract.
If you don’t like the vegetable plain, broccoli is easy to incorporate in stir-fry’s, salads, omelets, and more.