Chia seeds are among the healthiest foods on the planet.
They are loaded with nutrients that can have important benefits for your body and brain.
Here are 7 health benefits of chia seeds that are supported by human studies.
- Chia Seeds Deliver a Massive Amount of Nutrients With Very Few Calories
- Fiber:11 grams.
- Protein:4 grams.
- Fat:9 grams (5 of which are Omega-3s).
- Calcium:18% of the RDA.
- Manganese:30% of the RDA.
- Magnesium:30% of the RDA.
- Phosphorus:27% of the RDA.
- They also contain a decent amount of Zinc, Vitamin B3 (Niacin), Potassium, Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) and Vitamin B2.
- Chia Seeds Are Loaded With Antioxidants Most importantly, antioxidants fight the production of free radicals, which can damage molecules in cells and contribute to aging and diseases like cancer
- Almost All The Carbs in Them Are Fiber Because of all the fiber, chia seeds can absorb up to 10-12 times their weight in water, becoming gel-like and expanding in your stomach (9).
Theoretically, this should increase fullness, slow absorption of your food and help you automatically eat fewer calories.
Fiber also feeds the friendly bacteria in the intestine, which is important because keeping your gut bugs well fed is absolutely crucial for health (10).
Chia seeds are 40% fiber, by weight. This makes them one of the best sources of fiber in the world.
- Chia Seeds Are High in Quality Protein Chia seeds contain a decent amount of protein.
By weight, they are about 14% protein, which is very high compared to most plants.
They also contain a good balance of essential amino acids, so our bodies should be able to make use of the protein in them
- Due to The High Fiber and Protein Content, Chia Seeds Should be Able to Help You Lose Weight Many health experts believe that chia seeds can help with weight loss.
The fiber absorbs large amounts of water and expands in the stomach, which should increase fullness and slow the absorption of food (15).
Then the protein in chia seeds could help to reduce appetite and food intake.
6. They Are High in Many Important Bone Nutrients
Chia seeds are high in several nutrients that are important for bone health.
This includes calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and protein.
7. Chia Seeds Can Cause Major Improvements in Type 2 Diabetics
The most successful application of chia seeds to date was in a study on type 2 diabetic patients.